Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Death of a Tomato

Everything is growing really well, the aphids are pretty much gone, but so are almost all of the ladybugs! There is one left and it appears to be laying eggs on the eggplant (how appropriate!) so maybe it wasn't a total loss. However we lost the heirloom tomato! It either got blown off the deck or an animal jumped on it and knocked it off so of course I had to replace it. I couldn't find the same kind so I got one called Celebrity and a bush tomato. I also decided to secure the patio tomato and the new Celebrity to the porch railings with twine, I'm not taking any chances.  The bush tomato doesn't fit on the rail, it's supposed to not
need staking so hopefully it will stay short and well, bushy.
The biggest cucumber plant started to put out little tendrils so I rigged up some twine for it to climb. It's amazing watching the tendrils wrap around the twine, you can actually see it happen in real time if you are patient enough. All the cucumbers are flowering, the eggplant put out a beautiful purple flower but it fell off, fortunately it has more buds. The peppers are all putting on buds and two of the habeneros are flowering. The tomato feed I gave all the flowering/fruiting plants is definitely helping!
The orange trees have both sprouted and are healthy, I'm going to sprout some valencia seeds and see how they get on. I sprouted some heavenly blue morning glories and planted them in my remaining peat pots, I'm determined to have a Morning Glory windblock on the the north side of the deck and the two plants I have now are growing too slowly so we will see.


No comments:

Post a Comment