Thursday, May 9, 2013

Strawberries and Broccoli!

So because apparently I can't even go into the grocery store without buying plants, we now have two strawberry plants, a lemon balm, and another Italian parsley. As you can see from the picture, we already have berries, so if we can keep the plant alive and squirrel free we should have fruit in a month or so. Kellie pointed out that the broccoli has a a couple of baby florets, so we actually have crops already starting!

A cumin seedling sprouted up as well, the morning glories are still growing like crazy and the tomato still looks good. The watermelon are suffering, I think they got a little dried out the other day but hopefully they'll pull through. I found a piece of a robin's egg in the broccoli I have no idea where it came from we don't have any nests near by (at least none I could see)

As you can see from some of the photos I also bought a bunch of chili flakes and I put them everywhere, nothing was eaten last night so fingers crossed this will keep the squirrels away. I think I have figured out the solution to keeping the plants in the sun without them falling off the deck as well.
I am going to get long planters and tie them to the deck rails and when the time comes to pot the watermelon and tomatoes into bigger pots they will go in the corners and be tied to the roof supports.



My whole blog isn't going to be all gardening but it will be a large portion of it especially during the growing season, it's my favorite thing to do in the whole world and if everything pans out the way I hope, I'll be making a career of it someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment